Wednesday, March 19, 2014

What can we learn from Mrs. Cassidy?

After watching:

First Graders in Ms. Cassidy's Class (4:56)
Interview with Kathy Cassidy Part 1 (14:37)
Interview with Kathy Cassidy Part 2 (4:55)
Interview with Kathy Cassidy Part 3 (12:46)

I definitely think have a better understanding how technology can be effectively incorporated into a classroom. It was great to see an actual class in action. I particularly like how the use of blogging and technology in general gives parents the opportunity to follow their children’s progress. They don't have to wait for an open house or an annual program to see how their child is progressing. That said, I think that it motivates the students. They get excited to blog because people other than just their teacher are going to read it. I also agree with Mrs. Cassidy when she talks about how we need to be teaching students how to use the internet properly. If we do that, we avoid the possibility of students using it for the wrong reasons, going to inappropriate sites, or even using it to cheat. These are all problems that come with the territory of using technology in the classroom. We need to be teaching the students how to work collaboratively instead of simply copying someone else’s work. Mrs. Cassidy pointed out that technology can be an effective tool in any classroom, even in physical education. As a future math teacher, I think incorporating technology into my classroom will be a must. I really like the idea of using a class blog as the main "hub" for any tools my students will need for the class. On this blog I could have links to calendars, homework assignments, tools for homework assistance, and even videos that might give the students a better understanding of the subject. This will keep the students informed and eliminate them needing to ask me "What are we doing today?","What's the homework on?", or "When is our test again?".


I think that Mrs. Cassidy is an amazing educator. I like a lot of the things she had to say and technology and teaching. I think there is a great deal to still be learned from her. Most of all I like how she pointed out that we have to start incorporating technology where are interests lie.

3 comments:

  1. I think that a blog is a great way for parents to see their children's progress. I also like that you are going to incorporate it into math. Technology has come such a long way, and I think it will help students with learning. I also think a blog is a great way to communicate with students about the things that they are going to be learning and what they are going to be doing in the classroom the next day. This way, if they have any questions when they get home, they can just get on the blog and find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey MacKenzie,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I must agree that technology is an important tool to use in the classroom. I believe that having technology in the classroom is not only beneficial to the student but also to the parent(s). As a future teacher I will create a Facebook page or a Teacher page on the school system website so that way parents can have access to the lesson plans, grades and the homework that students have for that day. I also will do a blog so that students and parents can communicate with me as well. I believe that in order for a child to be successful in school it is up to the parent(s) and the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "They get excited to blog because people other than just their teacher are going to read it." This is a great point to make and part of the reason in EDM 310 that you all participate in C4K assignments every week. Not only are you benefitting, but the student whom you are commenting on is as well.

    Make sure that you follow the rules for quotation marks and punctuation. Quotation marks go outside of any punctuation, including commas.


    ReplyDelete