Sunday, March 2, 2014

What Can We Learn About Teaching and Learning From Randy Pausch?

After watching Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture I really felt like I had to just take a moment to let it all set in. So, what can we learn about teaching and learning from Randy Pausch? A lot. A lot is exactly what we can learn from this amazing educator. There is so much he said that we can learn from, but here are a few of my favorites.

1. I learned that learning never stops. There will always be better and more effective ways to do things. If you are passionate about something you don't ever stop. As a future educator I am passionate about finding the best ways to engage my students. I want my students to be excited about learning and what better way to do that than to show them how passionate I am about learning.

2. I learned that learning can be fun and that students respond better when learning is fun. Students are more apt to learn something when they forget that they are actually learning. Pausch calls it a "Head Fake" or more commonly known as indirect learning. Using a project to teach a concept they wouldn't normally be interested in.

3. I learned that as a future teacher I have to believe 100% in every single one of my students. Pausch talks about the advice he was given that if he only give it enough time, everyone will exceed expectations and surprise you. I have to believe that everyone is capable of greatness if given the right amount of time. The time it takes is different for everyone.

4. I learned that the best gift an educator can give is for their student to be self reflective. This was best said by Pausch. For a student to be able to recognize what they are doing wrong or that they can do better is an extraordinary accomplishment. This extinguishes all arrogance. The possibility of being held back their lack of ability to evaluate themselves is non existent.


Randy Pausch had some pretty amazing accomplishments. The most amazing thing was the knowledge he accumulated from his years of teaching.

3 comments:

  1. MacKenzie, great job on this post. I feel like you hit all the main points and expressed your opinions very well. I loved watching this video, Randy Pausch changed my outlook on how I viewed brick walls in my life. I was so glad Dr. Strange assigned us to watch this video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you liked Mr. Pausch's last lecture as much as I did. By reading your post, I can tell that you are going to be a great future educator. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete